National 12 - find out more...

N2503 Uncle Stalky

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 25 Feb 2007, 11:06

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2503 Uncle Stalky. Design: Stalky, designed by: Jim Aldis in 1970

John Meadowcroft

Uncle Stalky was given to Katy and I by Gill Moore (Jim Aldis' sister) when Gill emigrated to New Zealand 2 years ago.  The boat is dry stored in Wargeave but has only been out once in that time as our children dont allow us too much sailing time!  Uncle Stalky is very narrow for her vintage and we hope that as a result she will be good fun to introduce the boys to pottering around on the river.

In her time Jim and Gill won a number of races in Uncle Stalky.  A Championship race winner in light airs at Llandudno in the early 70s as well as many successes at Salcombe Week.

She should be getting a little TLC in the coming weeks and a bit more use this summer.  Sorry no photos yet.

Tim

In 1999/2000 Gill lent the boat to Rob Staines, a Saltash SC cadet who sailed the boat very quickly in club races and also claimed the Admirals Cup at the breezy Torbay Burton Week.

Chris Aldis

Uncle Stalky is a combined design effort by Jim and I during our student days as respectively applied and theoretical physicists. Jim was at Bath and sailed on Cheddar and I at Southampton sailing at Hamble. Jim had already designed and built N2401, Bunyip. We designed Uncle Stalky specifically for my light weight for inland racing in lightish winds. Jim did an industry placement as part of his degree and worked at the NPL ship test facility at Feltham. Very useful when designing Nationals!

There were a few unique aspects of Stalky for the time. 'He' was only a 6 planker when all other 12s were at least 7 planks and the strake at the bilge turn at the transom was merged with its neighbour to show only 5 planks on the transom. It is very neat and shows Jim's eye for a pretty design.

I raced Stalky intensively in 1970 to 72 with considerable success, I think we came 2nd in the Burton in 70 or 71. I think we also had a grand slam at Salcombe about then as well (my favourite sailing venue).
Stalky has remained in the family until sister Gill passed him on when she emigrated to NZ.

Chris

mckennas

Uncle Stalky has a new home. We have been busily doing a little repair work, varnishing and replacing a few tired parts over the last few weeks but hope to have her on the water this weekend. We plan to do a fair bit more over the winter. She (I know that doesn't fit with Uncle but....) should be a great introduction to sailing for our little girls (aged 8, 4 and 1). Fingers crossed they get the bug;)
Sean McKenna

chrishampe

Photo from Burton Week 2000 @ Torbay.

edwillett

Currently for sale on the internet link as below. Advertised for £375. Text from advertisment and photos pasted below.
http://www.wightbay.com/boats-watersports/national-12-sailing-dinghy/4813507
A classic wooden sailing dingy. Bought with good intentions a few years ago, but I've now moved to the mainland and do not get to use it often enough. I stripped down and re-varnished the outside of the hull, and have only had it in the water a couple of times since. The inside is in fair condition, but will need some attention within the next couple of years. Comes complete with various rigging, aluminium mast, mainsail and jib. Also comes with spare mainsail, but in useable but slightly tatty condition. Road trailer included in sale - repainted this winter and renewed the bearings.

Needs a bit of care to bring it up to top condition, but useable and a beautiful boat.

edwillett

more pics from advert

edwillett

mckennas

At RYYC today, I met someone who knew Uncle Stalky. Anyone know where he is? Nostalgia (our first family boat) needs him back, to put him back where he belongs, on the water...

Chris Aldis

Amazing to think that this 12 that we built in a cowshed 50 years ago is still going!
Chris

Ridge Boats

Uncle Stalky seen today on a driveway  in York Rd .  East Cowes IOW . The owner came out to meet me as i was looking at the boat and seemed keen to sell her .

shrek

Hi all,

I have purchased 2503 and she is currently sat in my workshop awaiting a full refit. My name is Rob Walker and I own Oceancoats in Cowes Isle of Wight, see oceancoats.co.uk I have purchased the boat for my personal use and to teach my 9 year old daughter to sail.
I will post pictures of the progress as it happens.

Rob

n12 Bottom Banner