National 12 - find out more...

N2323 War Cry

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Mar 2007, 05:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2323 War Cry.  Design: Mark 12, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1963
Previous boat names: War Cry, Thymallus, prior to reverting to War Cry.

ken goddard

The first owner of "War Cry" was Hugh Welbourn. This was the boat which Hugh had before he bought "Mr.Jones", N.2399, with which he won every race the Burton Week of 1968, except the practice race.
Hugh and War Cry were 10th on Points at the 1966 Burton Week, having been 2nd in two of the races.
War Cry was next seen at the 1968 Burton Week when sailed by Martin Sallis, who came 9th in the Burton Cup race and 17th overall.
The next record I have of this boat was that it was owned by a Dr. Rochester of West Bridgford, Notts. The boat next passed into the hands of Trent College, Long Eaton, Derbyshire. She had been renamed Thymallus and was sold by the School in a mass sale of all 7 of its old Twelves in 1985. She was bought by Mike Haynes of Trent Valley S.C. who only sailed her a few times. He sold on the boat in around 2007/8 to the steward of the Club, Les Robinson,  and the boat is now berthed under the club boat shed.
Les has started to make a careful renovation of the hull. As last seen the boat had a very old suit of terylene sails and an ancient and rather unsatisfactory metal mast with no spreaders.
From Ken Goddard, N.2300, January 2009

ken goddard

Picture of N.2323

Steve Wells

War Cry was based at Nottingham Sailing Club from 1972 to 1976.  Steve Wells owned War Cry from 1974 to 1976 when he sold it to Dr Rochester.

hughw

I bought Warcry as a stage II kit from Chippendales - put on the deck and finished her off in Peter Beck's boatshed at Burnham Overy Staithe - first sail however was on the Hamble from HRSC when I moved there at the end of the summer.  Great boat in a breeze!

ken goddard

War Cry is at Trent Valley, August 2012, underneath the Boat Shed. She was bought by the club steward who stripped all the fittings off, with a view to re-painting her. But that's as far as it got. The Boat Shed will be demolished shortly and replaced by a new building at ground level. What will happen to War Cry is not known.
Ken Goddard

paul turner

War Cry has now been rescued from TVSC boat park, cleaned down and is now for sale on behalf of the club.

grazz

Photos from Paul Turner

grazz

And a final photo from Paul

Ian Smith

Thanks to Paul Turners mega delivery drive I am now the  new keeper of War Cry - I know I said I'd done enough boat rescuing but, well, old clinker 12s just call to me....
Anyway she's now tucked up in the garage, outstanding 'much more important' chores are somehow taking on a lesser importance and the hot air gun & sandpaper have already been testing out trial areas!
Target date for most of the hull work is Christmas Eve - there, I've committed myself now! Watch this space.

Ian Smith

Ian Smith

Well nobody wanted to take over this little project so she's still with me - and actually I'm quite glad as she's coming together quite nicely now the weather has improved. Lots of woodwork already done and quite a bit still to do but much of the hull planking is really nice and I'd like to know if this is because the hull was painted from new or if it was originally varnished. Does anyone know?

Ian Smith

A summer of fun and 'War Cry' is ready for the water - unfortunately her owner is not so I can't tell you how she sails but at least she is sound and pretty once again. No paint to hide all the mended bits, just lots of fixing up, two coats of epoxy throughout (including the front tank) and lots of varnish. Mast refurbished, sails all cleaned up and some new buoyancy bags - she even has a nice cover (albeit a home made creation) in pretty green canvas. A proper cradle to fit on the trolley and a road trailer to suit her age. Only problem is that N2302 is also sitting on the drive and I can't keep two 12's....or can I???

Logically either N2323 or N2302 has to go to a new good home - age and common sense tells me I probably ought to keep just our 1965 Gull to sail and let both the Twelves go to people who can use them.....anyone interested??? 01395 222136

Pretty pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138936801@N05/albums/with/72157662827474671

Ian Smith

War Cry has now been sold and will have a new home at Christchurch. Now just need to find an equally good home for N2302!

n12 Bottom Banner