National 12 - find out more...

New Sails

Started by StuW, 28 Mar 2018, 04:22

« previous - next »

StuW

Well the missus has given me the go ahead to get some new sails for N3546 so now comes the difficult bit.
Where to get them from.
Most obvious seems P&B but my existing sails are Goucher and seem pretty fast.
I was impressed with Daves sails he made for Gillespie which are Dynamic sails and HD sails look pretty good.
Can anybody give any feed back on any of these other manufacturers good or bad. Probably sailing with about 100 kg, using an original Angell mast mainly on inland waters
Any help really appreciated
Stuart

3513SL

I had a new jib made by HD last year, very helpful but yet to test the sail....
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

gbr1918

Yup, I just bought some HDs as well.  A bit of a distress purchase because 3405's 2002-vintage P'n'Bs are falling apart (can't claim that we haven't had our money's worth!).  At that rate I'll need another set in 2034.   Dave Cooper

Johnm

P&B are the gold standard.  No one does it better but others can match.

David Copse

I am having new sails from HD, but the new sail area rules are providing loads of issues trying to get a jib to fit without chafing the lowers. Is anyone else having this trouble?

Main:
Luff 5485
Foot 2280
Area 6.253

Jib:
Luff 3850
LP 1219
Leech 3700
Area 2.347

Total: 8.6

Ebba is a standard Winder-built Foolish with original Super Spars 55mm carbon mast. The lowers come off the front of the mast at the gooseneck.

David
3457 Ebba

Johnm

Just go for a longer jib luff?

The further your mast is back the longer the foot measurement that the job can have.  The boats built since 2010 largely have the mast 150mm+ further aft than the previous generation and this will allow a longer foot measurement.

Whilst the lowers are a problem - and you could choose to rely on the mast ram and dispose of them - you will find that the jib tracks are positioned with a view to the clew being in a certain position relative to them.  A longer luff means that you probably move the car forwards to compensate so this is another consideration.

Back in the day lowers were called slowers by some.  I have them on 3543 and generally don't have them rigged.  Just saying....

David Copse

Hi John,

Yep, already gone taller and I don't have a mast ram. The longer luff already means I have to shorten the jib halyard, as I now run out of purchase before the rig is tensioned.

I think HD are planning on just trimming the leach to fit the lowers, but then I lose sail area  :(

I'll keep you informed of the outcome.

David
3457 Ebba

Johnm

Get a mast ram David!
I had to do similar with my job halyard - which was then a bit of a surprise when I tried to use the old jib and realised that I could not throw the rig around in the same way.  Fortunately I realised before we launched....
See you soon
John

n12 Bottom Banner