National 12 - find out more...

New to the boat

Started by DuncanAdams, 11 Jul 2017, 08:25

« previous - next »

DuncanAdams

Hi all

Ive jus brought 3294 in the hope my daughter will sail with me  ;D

I'm tying to find out a py for her. But Can not find any things recent. A Facebook message say they use 1094 at there club. What do others use?

Also any tips will be great
Hoping to give it a clean and stick the sails up tomorrow evening

Cheers
Duncan

johnk

The current PY is 1094. This applies to all boats. Our Class Association agrees that 1094 is correct for modern boats. For your Design 8 they suggest 1104 as a PY. Your club may well insist on using a PY of 1094. In my experience you may well find that in lighter winds you will do all right with 1094. Enjoy your sailing.

DuncanAdams

Thank you
Looking forward to it.

gbr1918

The current RYA PY number is 1064!   That's quite tough for my Final Chapter.  Currently I'm sailing off 1064 at Ouse Amateur and 1104 at Overy Staithe.  I'm not winning races at either (too incompetent  :) ) but I don't care because just sailing the boat is such a total blast!
Dave Cooper

antonygifford

The page you are looking for is here:
http://www.national12.org/private/Guides/handicaps.shtml

Most clubs are pretty sympathetic to the idea that 3294 is not the same as a DCB with a foiling rudder and so happy to follow the suggestion from the NTOA.  My own time in a Design 8 would suggest that they are the same speed as a Laser with a similar standard of helm.

Antony
N3348 & N3529

DuncanAdams

Thank you

looking forward to the challenge... in more ways than one...

DuncanAdams

amazing first sail

Both of us looking forward to making it go faster.

I need to replace the transom flaps any suggested where to buy some perspects ?
And Ive got adjuable shrouds... what should I do with these?

paul turner

Yo Dunk. Glad you are enjoying your N12; told you it was more fun than being a "billy no mates"! Got some transom flap material, hinges etc. You free tomorrow morning to pop over to the farm? We are setting up a Cheshire Cat for a new TVSC member from 11:00.Cheers, P :)

DuncanAdams

Hi Paul,
I'm at the shop  :o ill drop you a message.
Dunc

andy 3344

For what it's worth we're sailing off 1091 at Chew Valley in 3344, a non t-foil Final Chapter.  That seems to work very well for us against good modern Solos, Streakers, etc., but we get thrashed by the high performance machinery in a blow.  That's handicap racing for you I guess.

DuncanAdams

Had to admit that after two days racing off 1100 we got spanked.

Think I need to get the boat tuned!

John m

We sail off 1075 at Upper Thames SC.

DuncanAdams

Really I must be doing something very wrong! Thanks for your reply help!

StuW

To be fair Duncan, John Hun is VERY good!!

DuncanAdams

Sounds like it.

Had a chat with my local guru...
Few tweaks to rig set up. fix the bailers, then fix the fat lard at the back... should make the boats perform a little better!

n12 Bottom Banner