National 12 - find out more...

How to repair a drysuit!

Started by angus, 18 Aug 2016, 01:27

« previous - next »

angus

On studying the weather forecast I thought I might be spending a fair bit of time swimming. Time, I thought to repair that drysuit. last time I had worn it I had ripped one of the wrist seals in my rush to get to the loo. When I had previously done this job I had found something approximately the right diameter and stuck that down the sleeve to make things easier. Of course I couldn't remember that I had used last time and the only thing I could find was the Misses favourate mug it, was a near perfect fit (You know what is coming next). I slapped on a good globb or two of Aquasure and carefully folded the seal over the sleeve, perfect, I decided to rap a bit of gaffer tape round just to make sure, perfect job, neates I have everdone. All that was left to do was to remove the mug, this is where my troubles began. Stretch as the seal is it was not prepared to stretch over the handle, I could grab the bottom of the mug but it was not going to come out with out taking the seal with it. so I tried up the sleeve, magicians may be able to do it but not me, the mug remained resolutly wedged in the cuff. Something had to give but I did not want to destroy my perfect repair, I would never be able to do it so well again, but then I did not want to spent Burton week in intensive care (too wind or not too windy).
I managed to solve this tricky conundrum with a trip to the local shops, yes they still had them in stock, infact I was able to buy 2 (insurance against future mis fortune). On returning home a quick blow with a hammer sorted the problem, although it might have been cheaper to get the suit professionally repaired!
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Crusader 3244

A good blow is forecast. Just the kind of conditions to entice us there. Regret other more pressing matters need attention at home - so we cannot join in the fun of sailing and swimming.
Chris, 3244

angus

Sorry to see you not there Chris, was looking forward to sharing the joys of the modern triathlon. ....The dive out of the back of the boat Double somersalt with half twist. The free style doggy paddle pursuit, chasing the boat and finally the gymnastics on the high board!
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner