National 12 - find out more...

siglehanded

Started by Sylvester, 14 Jul 2016, 10:20

« previous - next »

Sylvester

Hi, I am going to be sailing Sylvester single handed. I am considering the mods needed. Anyone done this? I am thinking  of putting additional jib cleats angled on the center box just forward of crew seat. Considering moving the ram and dangly pole controls aft as well. Any mods will need to be quickly reversed to accommodate crew when available. Any advise would be appreciated.

Alistair Edwards

I have sailed my 12s single handed a lot. I have not had to make any modifications to the boats, just to my sailing technique.

Tie the jib sheets together into a loop so that it is easy to grab them when you tack. Sheet in and cleat the jib early (after you go head to wind) before you roll the boat out of the tack.

I find having the dangly pole cleat on the foredeck is not a problem. All of my other controls are led back to cleats on the thwart.

In very light winds I sail reclining on the thwart so that I can watch the burgee but keep the boat heeled slightly to leeward.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

edwillett

Likewise sail my 12's quite often singlehanded. Havent made any mods to the boats at all, but they all do have jib cleats which I think is the main thing needed. Doesnt matter where the control lines are lead to in my view.

n12 Bottom Banner