National 12 - find out more...

Please help me find my perfect 12 - 80's/90s, wooden deck

Started by Snomad, 07 Jun 2016, 12:45

« previous - next »

Snomad

This is my first post, although I have been spent plenty of time lurking on the website learning about 12s over the last month! I have to say I am impressed with how useful the website and particularly the boat database is.

My wife and I now have some time to dedicate to dinghy sailing and a 12 fits the bill I think.  We weigh 19 stone together; I have some experience whilst she is an energetic and enthusiastic novice.

I love the lines of the 1980s to late 1990s era National 12s, and hopefully it will help me scratch my wooden boat itch! A boat with built in buoyancy tanks would be great. That said I could also be tempted by a later foam sandwich boat with a wood deck.

We live in Wiltshire so local sailing will be on lakes, but we also plan to sail estuaries and protected coastal waters from time to time. An all rounder like a Crusader 88 or similar would be great.

Does anyone know of a suitable boat in good condition that might be available?

Were there many GRP boats built with wood decks?
Gavin

Crusader 3244

I am certainly with you on the era, and there are some fine examples of that pedigree still in existence.

Quite possibly there may be owners in your region who might be able to offer you a trial sail on a water near you . . .  and it certainly is worth one. The rig is typically powerful and in a boat whose waterline is just twelve feet that means that the ride can be full of surprises; there is a lot of fun to be had. Older boats can be a lot of fun for not much money.

Naturally the conditions play a big part and in the more testing conditions a good attitude to adopt is to enjoy the spills as much as the thrills. The thrills have surpassed all my expectations - as have several of my several spills!

To be hoped several owners will trail their boats to Burton SC for 12 Fest on 25th & 26th June and it's there you may well see boats (and owners) of all ages. Burton SC is west-ish of Derby. The trek could be worth your while because the friendly fraternity of festering 12 owners would be the source of many offers to try before you buy. I am hoping to be there on the Saturday with 3244 and you'd be welcome to 'av a go.

Chris, 3244

Snomad

Every time I watch a video of 12 sailing in a breeze the thrills and spills are very apparent! Fortunately my wife is a gymnast weighing 7.5 stone so hopefully we'll be able to stay on top of the nose diving.

That's part of the attraction for me - an opportunity to improve my sailing and boat handling. A demanding boat is more satisfying when you get comfortable handling it. The satisfaction of owning and fettling a pretty boat is also appealing.

12 Fest sounds like a good idea. Will it be a problem to show up without a boat?
Gavin

edwillett

Hi and welcome aboard!
I have a Crusader 88 (3274) and can confirm that it is great fun to sail, very forgiving, and, at Club level more than fast enough in all conditions. Some fine examples came up for sale recently, keep watching the NTOA For Sale ads, Apollo Duck and the join the Facebook page "Dinghies and Dinghy Bits for Sale". There are a couple of Crusaders on the NTOA For Sale list...not sure if they are still available.

Without wishing to state the obvious, wood does require maintenance and very soon little jobs pile up to make one big job (as I found out) so make sure you have undercover winter storage if you want your wooden boat to last. If not go for a Design 8....
Cheers
Ed

Crusader 3244

"Will it be a problem to show up without a boat? "

The answer ought to come from Burton SC themselves.

In your position I would email my intentions to come along, together with your reasons (seeing lots of 12s and maybe having a short try on the water), and enqurining do they foresee any objections or limitations. It's a courteous thing to do. I would not expect a problem. Clubs are typically friendly and I wouldn't expect Burton to be any different.

In any event you could cite yourselves as attached to a party that has a boat entered.

It's not uncommon for boats attending event to come with crew, spare crew, family, baby-sitters, or even general hangers-on . . .  and clubs accord them the same use of facilities etc. So the invite to come along has come from ourselves in 3244. By all means suggest you're with us.

Chris and Ben.
Chris, 3244

John Meadowcroft

Hi
Please come to 12fest without a boat.
Drop me an email beforehand on johnandkaty12@gmail.com
John Meadowcroft

alann

Hi
If you want to try a crusader i am at burghfield sailing club near Reading
If you  email me a phone number  we can arrange something
abeeton@msn.com
Alan

Snomad

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We're both looking forward to getting out on the water in a 12. John -

John - I will get in touch if I can juggle our diary to make 12 Fest a possibility. Alan - you have email!
Gavin

n12 Bottom Banner