National 12 - find out more...

70th anniversary celebrations in 2006

Started by MikeDay, 11 Jul 2005, 07:57

« previous - next »

MikeDay

Just reading in my just-out Ratchet (well done as always, Mike) about next year's 70th anniversary plans and especially the Anniversary Regatta at Pitsford event at Spring Bank Holiday.  It sounds great and of course we'd want to be there.  I just wondered where that will leave one of the most important annual meetings in our calendar - the Royal Harwich meeting?  I recognise in an already crowded programme that finding a three-day weekend that doesn't clash with an established meeting will be very tricky, and it's really important to be celebrating an important anniversary properly.  However, I also wouldn't want to see us losing RHYC as a meeting if we don't show up one year.  I assume all this has been thought through ...?

Mike D
N3496

Little Bo

Sounds fantastic but what a shame it takes place for 3 days of 'half term'.  I guess there will be a few folk who, like us, will have the dilemma of choosing between himself having 3 days of sailing and all of us then having a very brief holiday together (sorry, but I don't fancy a week at Pittsford!) or missing the celebrations and having a week of holiday.  Holidays are so precious that I suspect N3447 won't make it to the bash.  Will do our best to support the stand at the Dinghy Show - what a fantastic opportunity to show the class off to the rest of the dinghy world.

N3447's other half

David G (Guest)

I can only assume that an agreement has been made with RHYC ref. the the clash of two important 12 events.  If not I have serious concerns that we will offend yet another club that has been loyal to the class for much of the classes history.

Thinking about it surely no club has played a greater part throughout our history the RHYC, why can't the anniversary be there?

Regards,

David
N3461

John Meadowcroft

I have no knowledge of the planning so far, but i am looking forward to a weekend with loads of 12s about with great excitement.  The dinghy show is an excellent starter for a 70th celebration.  Evidently organising big events is all about compromise.  I would be disappointed if the Class was not prepared to make an extra special effort to attend and it would be sad to see a one-off clash with another event cause any friction at any clubs.  Many clubs have been involved over 70 years including but not only RHYC.  There cannot be a more central venue to have the meeting than Northampton so lets get behind it!

I will offer myself to work hard to get the '30 something' aged people to turn up for it.

john.

Zoe (Guest)

On behalf of the 70th anniversary committee,  I can assure you that we have been trying to consider all these issues, and as Meds points out, it's very difficult to fit a three day event into an already packed calendar. The fact that we chose the weekend which RHYC normally happens to be on for the anniversary event is not any reflection on RHYC as a club, but purely because there are only two bank holidays in May and we had to choose one of them if we were going to have a 3 day event. RHYC are already aware of the reason for the one-off change and there is no reason why anyone should take this as some kind of criticism of RHYC, which has been a long-standing supporter of the 12 class.

The reason for a bank holiday event is to give people travelling from long distances plenty of time to travel there and back, as well as having more time to enjoy ourselves. And the reason for Northampton is because it is very central so again, it should make it easier for everyone to get to. For those who have a half term clash, we intend to have lots of fun activities laid on for kids, so why not bring them with you?

We hope very much that the class will get behind these events: this is a great opportunity to show off the class to the rest of the sailing world, to celebrate the longevity of the 12 class and to have a lot of fun. We will  need a lot of help from the members to make this work, so please get in touch if you're willing to help out or have ideas to make the celebrations even better (see contact details in Ratchet).

Jane W (Guest)

:DHello

I WILL be there without a doubt. I have some inkling of how difficult organising the fixtures must be and will know that this will have been very well thought through.

Meds if you are looking after the 'Hard working 30 year olds' I will stick with my demographic group - even harder working 20 year olds!!!!

I am really looking forward to a massive weekend - someone said no thanks to three days at Pitsford, can I encourage you to rethink, three days of sailing your favourite boat, with like minded people, with entertainment for everyone, no long sails to the start, no massive ramps to pull boats up, a lawn to relax on, camping on site...  Really the sailing is just one small part of the weekend.

Jane
Will be there but NO idea with whom or in what!

n12 Bottom Banner