National 12 - find out more...

N3282 Avalon

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 08 Feb 2007, 01:44

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3282 Avalon. Design: Crusader '88, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1988

Mark Barron

Built by Alastair Calder for son Iain, sailed a lot at the time including good placings at Burton Week

edwillett

Avalon was indeed first owned by Iain Calder - although she was built by Gerry Ledger and home finished/fitted out by the Calders. She was sailed very succesfuly by Iain between 1988 and 1993 winning multiple Open Meetings across the country, including the Lairwell Trophy 5 times, the Scottish Championships in 1993 and placed well in Burton Week over this period. Iain also won the Northern Area championship in 1990 at Derwent Water where he scored four 1st's and two 4th's in the 6 race series over the may Bank holiday weekend. However the ANEYC Trophy was awarded to Ian Simpson of Tynemeouth SC as Iain was not eligible to qualify as an "outsider" to the region.
Here is a picture of Iain helming Avalon on the Firth of Forth at Kinghorn during the 1991 Scottish Championships.

LaserSi

She currently resides at Olton Mere Sailing Club in Solihull and until this afternoon had a little more wildlife in her than desired (both living and of the green variety). Safe and sound in the warmth of my garage I intend to give her a make over to restore her back to her former glory. Thankfully the work is generally cosmetic as the hull is in sound condition.

monkeynuts

I am the now current owner of this lovely 12 and will be putting her on the water after refit to sail with my wife and son too in a couple of years time. I have a few photos and can post progress shots if anybody is interested?
Also I will be looking to obtain all the missing parts as I literaly have the fine hull alone.

edwillett

Please do post pictures/updates...I knew this boat very well and still friends with the original owner.

monkeynuts

Excellent I will for sure. Would love to know more about the early days and see any more photos if the original owner has any?

monkeynuts

Current progress...

edwillett

Courtesy of original owner Iain Calder are these great shots of Avalon taken at the 1990 Burton Week at Llandudno.

monkeynuts

Thank you they are great pictures they have made my day! Brand new cover and jib turned up for her today so a good day all round. Cheer's

edwillett

Here is an image of Iain Calder and Sascha Robinson in Avalon at Llandudno 1990...the dramatic photo by Nick Champion of them powering up the beat was used by the NTOA as an advert in the Yachts and Yachting.

monkeynuts

Fantastic! Keep them coming ed it all helps spur the re build along :-)

edwillett

A couple more of Avalon ..these taken in 1991 at Dalgety Bay SC

edwillett

Avalon at Dalgety Bay SC

monkeynuts

Wow! I love that mainsail wish I had all the old bits.....

n12 Bottom Banner