National 12 - find out more...

Yachts and Yachting

Started by Roly Mo, 09 May 2006, 06:52

« previous - next »

Roly Mo

johnk

The article is great but could have done with proofreading. Did Robin Steavenson really win the POW cup? I thought his best result was second with Sorcerer.
The article also implied that wooden centreboards came in in the fifties. Surely it was mid sixties?

John Meadowcroft

No idea about Robin Steavenson's success in 14s, but my reading of the 12 handbook says that the class approved wooden centreboards in 1959 which is the fifties in my book even if there probably were not too many until the sixties....

I have not seen Y&Y but i did have a proof read of the original article sent to Y&Y.  Not sure what their editorial may or may not have done to it, but my hands are up if there are any errors.  Anyway why should we worry about the facts getting in the way of a good story.

Jimbo41

Y not post the article on our website? I'm sure we still have the original rights - haven't we?

Jim N3130.

icecreamman

I have to go with John on the Robin thing, but an easy way to find out would be either to look on the 14s website, I am sure they will have something to say on POW results. Failing that, nip down to a second hand bookshop and see if you can get hold of Robin's book Marks to Starboard which does for the 14s what When Dinghies Delight does for the 12s

John Murrell (Guest)

I think that Robin's only top six in the POW was a second in 56 at Royal Torbay.

John

Lukepiewalker

I had a quick scan through the POW results in my 14 history book and I can only find the second. The captions seemed a bit off but that was presumably editorial.
Was Witch not called Itch when it won the first Burton?
Other than that, a good job all round I think  ;D

darebarry

Robin came 2nd in 1956 at Torquay in Sorcerer and 4th in 1957 at Hunstanton in Witchway

n12 Bottom Banner