National 12 - find out more...

2007 Dates

Started by Antony (Guest), 14 Aug 2006, 05:35

« previous - next »

Barry

North West Norfolk Week.

A week of sailing at different venues in North West Norfolk (Hunstanton, Wells, Blakeney, Brancaster, Kings Lynn, Snettisham etc) almost every day.

N12, Enterprise, Laser and Handicap racing.

Good fun - I'll be there next year.

Barry
N3364

Little Bo

NWNW is good fun - and not just for the sailors.  As sailing holidays go it is definitely our favourite, because the sailing tends to be either in the morning or the evening so the sailors can spend time with the non-sailing element of the family too.  The venues range from wide open sea at Hunstanton and Snettisham to some of the loveliest shallow water harbours (Blakeney is a particular favourite of ours).  There's stacks of accommodation in the area and plenty of good places to eat, drink and explore, and the clubs make the fleet feel incredibly welcome.

Come and join in the fun.

Mike S (Guest)

Antony - Having just come back from my first Bass Week for 25 years realising why my parents used  to take us every year and having no intention to go to either NWNW (although I'm tempted), Salcombe or Burton next year, I think your desire to get more 12 sailors attending the "traditional" 12 events, regardless of where they are to be exactly the right approach.

In support of Bass Week, as a family friendly class we have to be able to get more than 4 boats to such a cheap, fun and easy sailing venue...and Phil David needs some competition!! RS200s got their own start this year. Maybe we should aim to ensure that we do the year after next.

Mike  

angus

My My people have been talking about Tummel with out me noticing. I just saw fixtures 2007 and thought that won't interest me.
A little a side for those of my sort of vintage with creaking knees etc. I am trying to get tummel to run a cvrda event either the weekend before or overlapping with tummmel week so if you have a 12 thats over 25 years old you can compete in that. As mark says the club is really friendly with a great atmosphere during the week with games for the kids as well and to top it all you can have a shot on my ToY as well. Worth the trip just for that although I did split the plank up the middle on Sunday.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

THG

Would it be possible to get the BW dates for 08 much earlier - family holidays commitments often get booked up quite early and this may also help anyone planning on doing BW in the future a chance to accomodate the weeks.  Currently I already have my 07 holiday booked (and it clashes with BW) so any help in future planning even as far out as 08 would possibly help families planning.

Thx,

Kean
THG

Jimbo41

North-West Norfolk Week.

JIm N3130 (A boat, a boat, my kingdom for a boat! and no sweeties from "plastic fantastics")

Antony (Guest)

Kean,
The honest answer is that it is very difficult to set a firm date for Burton Wk much more than 12 months ahead.  As this year has demonstrated it makes it even more impossible to avoid clashes even if the hosts are able to give a firm date further in advance, and it is already sometimes impossible.

As far as 2008 goes we do not yet have a firm venue, so it is even harder than usual!

Antony

THG

I know its very hard to plan so far ahead for such events but maybe we could develop some sort of action plan to identify what's needed to get more folks to attend these key events.  Location and dates are obviously very key to a decision for folks to commit.

What input do you get from the fleet in terms of preferred locations or is this the BW commitees job?  I'm sure its a huge task which is hard to get right for everyone!

Kean

THG

Antony (Guest)

Kean,
Burton Wk venues are usually left to the committee and are a mix of re-visiting old favourites and trying the odd new place such as Brixham when we have heard good things from other classes.  Any suggestions based on previous visits with other classes are always welcome.

People in the class seem to want the following:
A venue in a town, with easy access to eating and drinking venues other than the club.
Places outside a town so that driving/parking is easy.
Places in the SW of England where the weather is good.
Places outside Cornwall as the sea breeze is not so good as the peninsular gets thinner.
A trip to Scotland, or not as the current majority seem to feel.
A short sail to the course, but obviously very sheltered launching.
Cheap accomodation within a walk of the club, but obviously better than the Duporth site.
A warm welcome (Porthpean always win on this one)
Good sailing, did I mention that.
Plenty of stuff for the on-shore family members to do, beaches etc.
Dates in the school holidays (for those with chldren) and outside those dates for those wihtout kids who want cheaper accomodation.

I am sure that i have missed some, but that is enough to give the picture.  I am not sure how we would ever be able to set the dates much earlier.

Antony

Mike S (Guest)

How was Tenby for the Merlins? I was on holiday around there the week after and it seems to have everything on the list (except good weather!)
Mike S

We Love Norfolk! (Guest)

Antony

Presumably you also meant to include "Not clash with Norfolk / Salcombe" as a reasonable priority as well!!

Antony (Guest)

Dear WLN,
I thought I had covered that issue in my previous post!

Mike,
Tenby is a great venue and one we should definitely go back to.  It is a great shame that the last two occassions that we have been there were not great from a weather perspective (torrential rain the first time and lack of wind the second).  I have been there four times in three classes, and I think that my sister has been four times in four classes, and think it is up there with the best of the venues in the UK.  One key tip if we do go there is to book accomodation early as it is not a great place if you have to drive in every day.

Antony

RogerBrisley

Probably too late for 2007 but we should think about East Lothian YC at North Berwick (Edinburgh Sur Mer).

This is a fantastic venue and the club has experience of running Nationals ie rs400,  laser 2000 this year.

Lots of B&B, two good campsites inc statics etc within walking distance,  pubs and Restaurants (posh to pizzas) sep from club but within easy walking distance. Eburgh short train ride away,  regular sailings for non sailors,  good beaches -- see Roly Mo's Spiel pre Scottish Nationals..........

Roger
n3334

n12 Bottom Banner