National 12 - find out more...

RYA Dinghy Show - Alexandra Palace - 3rd/4th March

Started by John Meadowcroft, 05 Feb 2007, 10:58

« previous - next »

John Meadowcroft

Dear all

The NTOA will be exhibiting at the RYA Dinghy Show at Alexandra Palace on 3/4 March.  Our stand will feature a brand new Feeling Foolish being built for Kevin Iles by P&B.  The boat is from a new builder to the Class.  Come and visit and be first in line to place an order for one!

Any volunteers to help man our stand, please email me on john 'at' 2baileyclose.net or phone - number is in the book.

Thanks to those who have already volunteered, I shall be in touch.

cheers
John

Nathan Harding

Hey john, as like last year i'm okay to help both days!

nath

Roly Mo

Team Roly Mo will be there on the Saturday and will be happy to help anytime up until about 3pm.  Ellie says she'd like to hand out balloons!

Lukepiewalker

I'll be there in spirit, if not in body....

Jimbo41

Antony

As I understand it the answer to that is no, these are boats that you can buy from P&B with their brand and reputation at risk.  In fairness to them there are two points:
1.  If the first boat it not to their high standards the next one might come from another new builder and so there is little point advertising the name.
2.  The builder of the new boat is not a builder that has ever built a 12, or indeed until the last few months any racing dinghy, so their name will not have the selling point that Winder had.

The good news is that they are on schedule to have the boat at P&B in 2 weeks, to be fitted out in plenty of time for the Dinghy Show.  I am pretty excited to see it, despite what I have heard about the colour scheme, and assuming that it looks good I suspect that a fresh off-the-shelf product could be just what is needed to kick-start new builds and create a trickle down of good DB boats on to the 2nd hand market.

Antony

Martin

John Meadowcroft

Sadly Winder boats were not very interested in building 12s as there were not enough orders coming from the Class.  Perhaps a sad commercial reality, but nonetheless something that cannot be ignored.  Customers dont want long build times.  You are right though - they do want quality boats.  Winders build Fireballs, Solos, Merlin Rockets, and from 2007 Mirrors !.   All of these in substantially larger volumes than they have ever built 12s.

A change in the builder to someone who can deliver and then there is a chance of more new boats on the scene.  Don't make too much fuss about it.  Does not sound like a leap of faith to me.  More like common sense from a business that wants the Class to succeed.  P&B had the choice to market a 12 or not.  They have chosen to find a new builder.  Whilst not a boatbuilder I understand that they are a highly experienced composites producer but who have made products for non marine applications.  Wait and see the product before you rush to judgement.  I think you could be surprised!  

So come along and see the vessel at the Dinghy Show - 'dodgy' colour scheme (sorry Kevin!) and all!

I cant wait.

John

rick perkins

No doubt the new builder are experts in composite construction and perhaps come from a backgroubd where standards of construction and finish are HIGHER than those of a typical dinghy builder ...

We all know Winder build excellent boats but I am sure there are other who also know what to do with smelly sticky stuff ... roll on the new boats (shame it's not an evolved FF ...)

I think the position of not telling people who is doing the construction is causing people to be suspiscious (sp?) why not just say ... they are not boat builders but no doubt have a good reputation in their field ...and of course the truth will out at some point (it always does)

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Jane Wade

Hmm...vicous rumours about the 'dodgy' colour scheme, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  I don't believe there are more than three people who know the actual colour so you will simply have to wait and see.  

Tom has been overseeing the quality of build and the builders do have an outstanding reputation in their field.  The thing to remember is that this is a P&B boat and they have a very good reputation for quality so would not put their name to anything that didn't fit their brand ethos.  

Rick - you are right the quality outside of the marine industry may well set standards the marine industry should aspire too!

What is with the wedding stationary?  I thought the Gore's had cornered this market in the South East?

Jane

PS Will be available to be on the stand for Saturday and I believe will do a fantastic job of promoting it as a family class  ;D

rick perkins (Guest)

[quote by=Jane_Wade link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1170716281,s=10 date=1170931174]
What is with the wedding stationary? [/quote]

Click the link if you are interested - sig is mainly there for the benefit of spiders but of course anyone who is planning to get married can always take a look ... :)

regards,

Rick

Jimbo41

Interesting website Rick - Higher Management (aka H.M.) organises weddings for those wanting to come over to do the whole thing from start to finish in Germany (e.g. Schloss Neuschwanstein, Wieskirche, Munich area, Rhein region... etc. etc.) from places as far afield as Uzbekistan and  the USA. I'll pass on your details..;). I guess you'll be around for Burton Week and/or Salcombe? We're doing both. See you there :)

Cheers!
Jim.

P.S. I also think that if P&B have chosen this firm, they must be pretty good!

rick perkins

[quote by=Jimbo41 link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1170716281,s=12 date=1170938297] I'll pass on your details..;). I guess you'll be around for Burton Week and/or Salcombe? We're doing both. See you there :) [/quote]

Thanks - we will be at BW.

Back on topic now ...

Plenty of people outsource things and brand them and this is no different.

This is a P&B product - a brand we know & trust ...
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

n12 Bottom Banner